Hilary recently held a Q&A with Farmingdale State College undergraduates about her start in public relations and social media marketing. The class prepared a number of questions to ask her about her professional journey.
- If a company is looking to reach the greatest amount of followers or contacts on a social media platform, is there an optimal time of day that they should be posting?
- Do you feel that the use of social media for public relations has become an even more important tool during the COVID pandemic?
- Can you explain how people go from blogging/Instagramming for fun to making a career out of it?
- What does a typical day in your life look like?
- How did you know what you wanted to do?
- How long did it take to start your company?
- What have been some of your biggest failures/successes in your career thus far, and what did you learn from the experience?
- As a blogger, podcaster, professor, coach, all these require public speaking. What is some advice you have for confidence building in public speaking for someone who may be more on the shy side?
Hilary enjoyed her time speaking with Farmingdale State College about PR and SM and how she got her start in communications and as an influencer.
“As an adjunct professor at Hofstra University, I really do enjoy meeting students and telling them about my story. I hope it inspires someone to pursue a career in public relations. A special thank you goes out to Sharyn O’Mara for inviting me to speak in front of her class at Farmingdale State College.”
Interested in discovering how Hilary got her start in PR? You can learn all about her professional journey including crashing Woody Allen’s party in her latest book, Branding in a Digital World.